Sunday, 13 September 2026

National Myths

 
Argentina has once again asserted its territorial claim to the Falkland Islands. This time they have big hitters in the international community on their side, in the shape of Israel and the USA. I am disappointed in Javier Milei. When he took power in 2023 I called him the "Argentine Trump". He was a populist, almost anti-political figure whose mentor was Margaret Thatcher. He got through his entire campaign with a very lukewarm position on the Falklands; in fact he barely mentioned the subject. This is amazing in a nation suffering from what they themselves call as a self-deprecating joke, "Malvinitis". Since then Milei seems to have been lured into the establishment in the same way Boris Johnson was, see: https://hpanwo-voice.blogspot.com/2022/07/boris-is-finished.html. He has started reciting the old line that his predecessors did. Argentina's claim to the Falkland Islands is completely bogus, in fact it is a hoax invented by the junta to control the people's emotions; see here for details: https://hpanwo-radio.blogspot.com/2022/04/programme-460-falklands-war-40_14.html. Argentina has suffered enormously during the 20th century. It has endured economic collapse and fascist tyranny. It would be a far happier country if it could find a way to get over this madness about those little islands full of sheep farms just off their continental shelf. However, mass mental obsessions are difficult to break; and I'm not just criticizing Argentina here. Maybe it's normal for nations to have an idea that almost all the citizens believe in, and for them is quintessential to their national identity and self-esteem; but it is completely false. Whatever country you, the reader, live in; what do you think yours is? Being British, I'm not sure. Very often the citizen themselves is the last person to see the problem. These falsehoods are often harder to discern from the inside. Foreigners are more likely to spot them first. I am British, but I'm also Welsh; however I left Wales as a child and moved to Oxford, England. This might be why I have spotted the national myth suffered by Wales. It is not an obsession with any islands or anything like that; it is the notion that Wales is universally and eternally "oppressed by the bloody English!" To be fair, Wales is not alone in this mindset, in fact Scotland and Ireland are far worse. I call this concept the "CVD- Celtic Victimhood Delusion." I'll leave some background links below to provide details. The CVD has actually been very damaging. It has made Wales and its fellow "Celtic nations" defenceless against the globalist onslaught via the European Union and the World Economic Forum etc. Your average Taffy's response to this threat is: "EU and WEF? Who cares about them? At least they're not the bloody English!" They think we still live in the 14th century, the days of Owain Glyndŵr. They see the world through the cracked lens of the lost order of territorial states and national empires. Perhaps it is because I am an expat I can pierce through the veil. I think Wales would be a far happier country if, like Argentina, we could leave the CVD behind in the past where it belongs.
See here for background: https://hpanwo-voice.blogspot.com/2024/10/cvd-is-ruining-wales.html.
And: https://hpanwo-tv.blogspot.com/2024/01/visiting-senedd.html.

8 comments:

Missing Trillions said...

"Argentine Trump" is a fair description of Milei since he has been equally disastrous and treacherous in much the same way. Not a source of disappointment for thinking and perceptive people who expected nothing else from either, or indeed from Boris Johnson.

The closest British equivalent of 'Malvinitis' is perhaps simply 'Russophobia'; the belief that Russia encapsulates everything bad and tyrannical and is some kind of eternal threat about to invade. How long people are going to allow themselves to be played by this garbage is hard to say.

Ben Emlyn-Jones said...

Hi MT, when it comes to Trump and Boris, I would say many people guessed correctly.
As for "Russophobia", I'm sure that's what the government want to be our national myth. They're certainly trying to instill it in us. The thing is, it's failed. most people I know don't buy it at all.

Anonymous said...

Claiming Russophobia in the current political climate for any actions of Russia threatening or actually detrimental to the UK is like claiming TDS when it comes to DJT. No denying Russophobia exists but a Putin led Russia is actively hostile to the UK so it's completely natural for our Government to issue warnings. Rather than perpetuate a 'national Myth' it's stone cold reality that Putin is at war with the UK short of dropping missiles on London and pushing the envelope of NATO responses to hostile 'Grey zone' activity daily. People 'who don't buy it' sadly have been spending too much time on the same social media infested by the troll farms and Z bloggers as the more obvious alongside the sock puppet and AI accounts feeding this narrative of the 'horrible west everything is all their fault' the same Kremlin tool that allows a mailable Russian population after all these years.

Ben Emlyn-Jones said...

I disagree, Anbn. I disagree because of the blame that has been placed on Putin and therefore how it is up to him to "stop!" in order to achieve peace. Has it occurred to you that Russia sees NATO as the aggressor, "a knife held to Russia's throat" as they say?

Missing Trillions said...

"Russia is actively hostile to the UK". I wonder if you can read maps or have ever looked at one since 1989. British missiles are indeed striking infrastructure in Russia whereas the reverse is not happening. It's clear where the active hostility lies. If and when Russian missiles are striking London, then you can start talking about Putin being at war with the UK.

Anonymous said...

Putin is an aggressor by invading a sovereign state Ben. at any stage he could call a halt. Blaming NATO is completely irrational and a key Putin claim easily dismissed by the following. Ukraine was at war since the annexation of Crimea by Russia any country in an active conflict cannot join NATO under it's own rules established when NATO was created. There was never any fear of Ukraine joining NATO due to this if Russia had remined in the defacto situation before the full scale invasion. Secondly the argument put to stop NATO expansionism was clearly absurd as it would result in non members fearful of Russia requesting to join and as predicted this is exactly what happened creating a NATO borderline more than twice what it was before the invasion with Finland and Sweden now NATO members. Russia isn't fighting NATO despite what Putin thinks or is claiming, if he was it would all be over in a flash... It may be turning into a proxy conflict by it's nature but that's not NATO that's individual states including the UK deciding what support to give to Ukraine to help defend it's country. I would rather believe defence analysts and experts over the Kremlin, do you need reminding how you didn't believe that Russia was going to invade Ukraine as Putin said he wasn't?

Ben Emlyn-Jones said...

Good point MT. Obviously these weapons are being used by the Ukrainian military, but they're made right here in Blighty.

Ben Emlyn-Jones said...

Anon. Have you read President Putin's own article on this subject. It's a long read, but it goes into the matter in detail. you can get it in about a dozen languages. No need to remind me, I got it wrong like so many of we, the imperfect people; unlike you. NATO was a child of the Cold War and was set up as a response to the USSR's ambitions. The Cold War has been over for four decades now. When will NATO be disbanded? Do read the article: http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/66181