I recently delivered my lecture "Real Zombies" at
the Mablethorpe group, see: https://hpanwo-voice.blogspot.com/2026/09/mablethorpe-presentation-videos-3.html.
In this talk I have always referred to the apocalyptic film 28 Days Later, but I have never watched
it. I did see the first quarter of an hour once, many years ago, but never the
rest of it. Therefore, the evening before I left for the Lincolnshire
venue I decided to watch the entire movie for research purposes. It was made in
2002 and directed by Danny Boyle, best known for his surreal and bleak
shock-factor films like Shallow Grave
and Trainspotting. The scriptwriter
is Alex Garland, a novelist turned screenwriter with a taste for dystopian
stories with a dark tone. I have previously reviewed his movie Ex Machina which he also directed, see: https://hpanwo-voice.blogspot.com/2025/10/ex-machina.html.
There is a prologue scene in which a zombie virus escapes from a laboratory,
but I found it hard to take seriously because the scientist is played by David
Schneider, a comedian I know very well from his collaborations with Steve
Coogan, of which I'm a big fan. The virus causes people to turn into
zombie-like entities which attack and bite other people, thus spreading the
virus further; a familiar and regularly used trope. The next scene has the main
character Jim, played by Cillian Murphy, waking up alone in a London
hospital, in a situation reminiscent of John Wyndham's Day of the Triffids. He wanders the empty streets of the city
desperately looking for other people. How on earth the film makers managed to
shoot that scene in crowded London
and make it look deserted is amazing. They must have filmed in midsummer in the
early hours of a Sunday morning. Jim eventually realizes what has happened when
he encounters "the Infected" and has to flee from them. Luckily he
meets some other people who are not infected. A woman named Selena and a father
and daughter. The father, Frank, is a likeable London
cabbie played by another Irish actor, Brendan Gleeson. He has a daughter called
Hannah in her early teens; and the two of them are struggling to survive in an East
End tower block. Frank is jolly and hopeful, but he is sometimes
reckless in his optimism and takes terrible risks. Selena is a bit of a cliché,
the "apocalypse poser", see: https://hpanwo-voice.blogspot.com/2012/12/prepper-posers.html
and: https://hpanwo-voice.blogspot.com/2012/03/insider-posers.html.
She mellows a bit later in the story though. They all team up and begin a
journey, looking for anybody who can help them. I've found this often happens
in post-apocalyptic fiction; another example is The Road, see: https://hpanwo-voice.blogspot.com/2024/06/the-road.html.
They end up at a location near Manchester
where they come across a group of men who call themselves "soldiers"
although it is more likely they are just ordinary blokes who happened upon an
abandoned military base and are just play-acting. Their leader is played very well
by Christopher Eccleston, pre-Doctor Who.
This was the same year he starred in The
Second Coming, see: https://hpanwo-tv.blogspot.com/2023/01/ben-emlyn-jones-live-at-truth-seekers.html
and: https://hpanwo-tv.blogspot.com/2020/08/apocalypse-soon.html.
To begin with, the men are helpful and obliging, serving the main characters
food and giving them comfortable accommodation in an old stately home where
there is a water and electricity supply. It is fortified against attacks by the
Infected. Soon afterwards though, it turns out these men have dastardly
intentions and consider their guests as prisoners. Jim has to stage a rescue
mission to free the girls from captivity. It's quite exciting and I wondered
how he was going to do it. However, there are some elements of the film I found
pretty incredulous. Despite living in a dystopian hellhole, Selena is always
depicted as very well groomed. Her clothing is clean and her hair is styled in
a trendy spiky cut. This is despite Jim having trouble shaving because of the
lack of water. There are many zombie flicks I really like such as the series by
George A Romero and the Resident Evil
ones. 28 Days Later has some good
elements from the genre as well as some fertile original ones, but it lacks a
certain vividness that you find in the former two examples. Despite that, I'd
say it's worth watching, especially if you like the zombie apocalypse milieu.

No comments:
Post a Comment