A week ago, on Monday the 13th, I had a very distressing
experience, but shortly afterwards I was given a wonderful gift. It began when
I entered a post office to deposit some cash. This is one of those small post
offices embedded in a grocer and attended to by the shop's staff. I approached
the counter and went through the usual procedure counting out the money and
putting my bank card in the machine. I handed the cash over and said
"There should be £120 there." The staff member then counted it out
himself and replied: "No, there's only £100." I nodded, not
challenging him. Although at the same time another part of my mind was yelling
at me that he was plainly holding six £20 notes in his hands. As soon as I got
out of the shop it hit me like an earthquake. The cashier had just paid in £100
when I gave him £120. He obviously thought he would try and see if he could
fool me into being conned. He no doubt slipped one of the £20 notes into his
pocket afterwards before putting the rest in the till. A series of horrible
emotions ran through my head. Firstly, anger at him for his theft. Secondly, frustration
at knowing that the moment I completed the transaction there is probably no way
to correct it (although I have written to the Post Office to try). I also felt
rage at myself. Why did I let it happen? Why was I not on my guard? This is not
the first time I've been short-changed like this, far from it. In fact the
number of times I've been ripped off in various ways are too numerous to list.
A client still owes me £50 for a pub clean I did last year. A nightclub doorman
once tricked me into paying double the entrance fee by telling me my friend had
already gone in and not paid. I could go on for pages and pages. Despite all this,
I still generally deal with strangers in good faith. This is the dark side of
my genial nature, my "pathological bonhomie", my extraversion, my
cooperative instinct. The cashier had exploited these; he had taken advantage
of my personality. He is somebody who has served me numerous times and so has
probably assessed me as a pushover; and is he wrong? The way I always smile and
thank him, wish him a pleasant day... which I obviously will never do again.
After a few minutes my anger turned to sadness. I know that I live in a society
in which I will be considered the bad guy in this situation, not him. I will be
chided for being so vulnerable and naive, for allowing myself to be conned; in
fact I know some of you readers are thinking that right now. Those same people
would probably not criticise the cashier if they ever met him; they might even
congratulate him for a job well done. After all it's a "dog-eat-dog
world!" isn't it? "Law of the jungle!" "Survival of the
fittest!" See here for details: https://hpanwo-tv.blogspot.com/2025/09/bullies-reply-to-stefan-molyneux.html
and: https://hpanwo-tv.blogspot.com/2020/02/humiliation-reply-to-stefan-molyneux.html.
My sadness was then topped up with a terrible sense of isolation and
loneliness. The violation I had just experienced in the form of barefaced theft
reminded me of how different I am to most people. I would never do such a thing
to anybody else; but this doesn't make me more valuable a person in my society,
it makes me more worthless. I was reminded of other betrayals I had suffered;
not financial this time, but personal, for example see: https://hpanwo-voice.blogspot.com/2023/10/am-i-gate-child.html.
Alienation swept over me. I was walking down a familiar street, but it suddenly
felt totally foreign. I felt like I was lost, like a man in a lifeboat in a
rough sea. What followed next was something I very rarely feel and hope I never
feel again: despair. Maybe the nihilists are right, I thought. Maybe I've been
kidding myself all these years that life has any meaning. I always believed
there was some kind of non-physical intelligence around who knew who I was and
is concerned for my welfare. I now found myself doubting that. Maybe nobody is
out there who is on my side. I am completely alone. I am doomed to be a helpless plaything of indifferent fate and the human malevolence, that only I am so stupidly
sentimental enough not to practice myself, for the rest of my pointless
existence.
I sighed and continued walking, heading for work to do my
usual jobs, but at that moment I felt I was really now just a robot, acting out
a program. I reached into my pocket and pulled out my mobile phone; and, lo and
behold, the torch was on! That was strange; I hardly ever use the torch and
when I do, I always make sure I switch it off afterwards. It has never turned
on by itself before. I stopped walking and gasped. Was this some kind of answer to my
subconscious prayer, my silent cry for help? Was somebody up there shining a
light on me? I didn't allow myself to continue that train of thought straight
away; I had work to do and so had to remain practical for the day. I switched
off the torch, put my phone away and continued my walk to work. When I got home
I began researching. I looked up the technical details of my mobile phone,
using Google AI to help. Sometimes my phone does things I don't intend. I have
occasionally suffered the very embarrassing problem of "pocket dialling".
I always keep my phone screen-locked in my pocket, but it once dialled 999 by
itself simply from rubbing against my leg. The emergency number can be accessed
despite the screen being locked behind a passcode. Luckily the police just
called me back to check I was alright and didn't punish me. An app that often
goes off accidentally is the camera; this is because I have the shortcut as
default on factory settings. I would need to disable it manually and have never
bothered. However, there is no shortcut for the torch on my phone. A user can
add one, but I never have. In fact the only way to switch on the torch is so
complicated I sometimes forget and have to search for it. I have to swipe up
from the display then swipe right and then press the correct button. I am
careful to keep that page open while I shine it so I can turn it off easily
when I'm finished. If I don't, then a temporary shortcut does automatically
appear to remind me; but this is only if the torch is already on, not when it
is off. I had to check my modes and routines in settings. I only have three
active modes, apart from normal function: theatre, aeroplane and sleep. None of
those three have the torch listed. This means there is no way in any of the
workings of my phone that the torch could possibly have gone on in my pocket. I
was stunned. Strangely enough, Google AI took an open mind to the possibility
of psychokinesis. Had my mental turmoil somehow caused my mobile phone to
trigger the torch? To be honest I had started the dialogue by asking the AI
about Dean Radin, so I had prompted it a bit. Dr Dean Radin is a
parapsychologist and author who researches "mind over matter" psi
phenomena at the famous Institute of Noetic
Sciences . He is featured in the film What the Bleep do We Know!? talking
about his work, see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfqjyTRDj8A.
He has done experiments which indicate that direct mental intent can alter the
output of random number generators. Did I do something similar with my mobile
phone? Possibly, if so that alone would be amazing. However, unlike Radin's
system, a mobile phone is not designed to be altered by any kind of external influence;
in fact it is specifically shielded against outside interference. Also, the
effect Radin discovered was small compared to actually moving a hardware
switch, which is necessary to turn on the torch. I did my due diligence as a
researcher and eliminated "rational explanations"; so in the end I
have to conclude that this is likely to be a piece of synchronicity. In the
links at the bottom I give other examples. If this is synchronicity then it is
the most extraordinary example I've ever experienced. It scores high on two factors.
Firstly the unlikelihood, even impossibility, of the event occurring by normal
means; and secondly, it happened at a moment of extreme personal significance.
It was literally just a few minutes after I had left the shop and the first
time I had looked at my phone following that incident. As I finished my
investigation I leaned back in my chair and muttered "thank you!"
Whoever, or whatever, did this for me is forever in my debt. Call it
"God" or a different name, it's up to you. This is what I mean by it
being a wonderful gift. If it had not happened I would have been on a downer
for weeks, maybe permanently. I might have been seduced into a misanthropic and
social Darwinist frame of mine myself, and decided that if I couldn't beat them
I might as well join them. I could have become a thief myself; after all, why
not? What does it matter? It's my victims' fault, not mine. I have been saved
from that. Not that I feel total joy and delight about what was done to me. I
will not be embracing the man who stole from me or blowing him kisses in the
checkout queue. I am still angry and, as I said, I have written to the Post
Office to complain. Actually I don't think these gifts are intended to make us
appease injustice or ignore malevolent actions. However, my gift has made my
torment much easier to live with. I am now £20 poorer, but I'd gladly have paid
far more than £20 for this experience! This is the first time I have told anybody about what happened. I'm quite surprised at myself. Why have I not been yelling it out? I think the answer is that for me this experience is very precious and sacred, almost an intimacy between me and the universe. I felt I had to wait for the right time. It felt like the wrong time before now. I don't think I will ever forget last
Monday. Its message will always be an influence on my life.
See here for more information: https://hpanwo-hpwa.blogspot.com/2026/01/twopence-bag.html.
And: https://hpanwo-hpwa.blogspot.com/2022/02/lets-just-help-each-other-out.html.
See here for more information: https://hpanwo-hpwa.blogspot.com/2026/01/twopence-bag.html.
And: https://hpanwo-hpwa.blogspot.com/2022/02/lets-just-help-each-other-out.html.

2 comments:
This was an interesting article and very philosophical. Despite projecting a scathing persona online I have the same 'problem' in real life. Paying way over the odds for work or not being paid enough (or anything) myself. And trusting implicitly people I deal with regularly only for them to take advantage. It's a price you pay for being an altruist in this broken society but then again would you ever want to be anything else? The example you give here is a really stark breach of trust. I wouldn't want to live out the life of someone capable of doing that just for the sake of an easy £20 that someone else has worked hard for.
Thanks, MT. I really do prefer people like you to the social Darwinists. Deep down you're right, I wouldn't want to be anything else. I just have to accept the situation and my gift has made that easier. Like MJ Davis Aurini used to say "I'm a second-rate man in a fourth-rate world."
Post a Comment