Tuesday 26 July 2022

Get Out, Get Out!

 
A trailer has been released for a new film called Nope, see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG2CUcsX-60. It is about UFO's and alien abduction. A few people on UFO Twitter have already been to see it and are all praising it profusely. A good sign. But then I saw something which raised a little red flag. It's directed by Jordan Peele and stars Daniel Kaluuya; where have we seen that double act before? That's right, Get Out. Get Out is Peele's earlier work that was highly acclaimed and won numerous awards. It is a truly appalling film and I list it in my HPANWO TV video Worst Movies- a Hospital Porter Reacts, see: https://hpanwo-tv.blogspot.com/2021/12/worst-movies-hospital-porter-reacts.html. However I thought the above teaser trailer for Nope was actually rather good. It's possible that the Peele-Kaluuya dumpster fire is going to provide something worth watching for a change. What's more the supporting cast list is impressive. It includes the classic Hollywood actor Keith David, who has often stolen the show in some of my favourite films, like They Live and Cloud Atlas. However, when I Tweeted the above opinion I received a rather strange reply: "Really!? Why do you despise Get Out? You're the first person I've heard of hating that movie. Lol." Am I really the first person this user has ever met who doesn't like Get Out? I've also struggled to find another person who reviews Get Out negatively... or to be precise, somebody who is willing to do so publicly. I think this proves the point I made in my Worst Movies video. Get Out includes a conceptual element that essentially moral blackmails the viewer/critic/distributor/award panellist into saying they love this film whether they really do or not. This element means that to dislike the film makes one ethically problematic. If you watch my video, and the film itself, you will understand exactly what I mean. Hollywood is becoming very Stalinist. In the USSR under Josef Stalin, biographies, biopics, poems and songs were written about the Great Leader; which every Soviet citizen, when asked an opinion, nodded their heads, gave a lunatic grin and said: "It's wonderful!" To do otherwise meant being offered a one-way ticket to Gulag Central. If any celebrity, especially somebody in the movie industry, said they disliked Get Out what would happen to them? Well, they wouldn't be sent to any gulag because there are none these days... yet. However, they would probably be cancelled, like Johnny Depp has, despite winning his court case. This predicament really ought to alarm us.
See here for background: http://hpanwo.blogspot.com/2021/08/political-correctness-portal.html.
And: https://hpanwo-voice.blogspot.com/2008/06/critics.html.

No comments: