Monday 14 October 2024

New Bridget Jones Film

 
It's been formally announced that a new Bridget Jones film is going to be released early next year. Renee Zellweger is coming back to give yet another authentic and captivating performance as the famous sweet-natured young Londoner whose romantic comedy diary adaptations of her life-size life have made her a grassroots heroine for many people. Most Bridget fans are naturally excited about the new film, which will be called Bridget Jones- Mad about the Boy; but I will not be watching it. The reason is not because I dislike the Bridget Jones films, it's the exact opposite. I loved the first two, Bridget Jones' Diary and Bridget Jones- the Edge of Reason. Then came Bridget Jones' Baby. This was a letdown. I interpreted this as yet another example of a franchise in decline. It has happened to so many others; Star Wars, Star Trek, Doctor Who, Lord of the Rings etc. They achieve greatness, but then fall like Icarus. The cause of this is sometimes wokery, but not always. Often it is simply that the franchise loses creative energy. It seems there is a finite amount of this, no matter how much it starts off with. The response from the producers is usually to double down and press on, pouring out sequel after pointless sequel and an array of watered-down spin-offs. It doesn't work; it never works. I would be happier if they just quit while they were ahead. It is heartbreaking for dedicated fans to witness this degeneration, holding on to the hope that maybe... maybe, they are just one more remake away from regaining their former glory. I have taken a different tactic. As soon as I detect the early symptoms of the great downfall I stop watching the new releases and just enjoy what has been done already. I have the DVD's of the first two Bridget films and I can watch them over and over again, whenever I like. Nobody can take that away from me.
See here for more information: https://hpanwo-tv.blogspot.com/2019/12/star-wars-rise-of-skywalker-film-review.html.
And: https://hpanwo.blogspot.com/2021/08/political-correctness-portal.html.

No comments: