Sunday 19 August 2018

May the Lard Bless Me and Keep Me!

The infamous lard-eating race that I mentioned here: https://hpanwo-tv.blogspot.com/2018/04/ben-emlyn-jones-at-weird-weekend-north.html, has now been published as a video, see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKCNkjCidFM. Just when I thought I had escaped the ravages of the internet for good. I'm sure my trolls will have a field day with it. I think it was when Richard Freeman made a reference to "southern wimps!" that I snapped and had to volunteer. I did find it incredibly arduous to eat so much lard and I knew there was no way I would win when I saw my competitor munching away with such relish. I felt alright afterwards actually. At first I was totally bloated, but I recovered quickly. Contrary to mainstream belief, unsaturates and trans-fats are actually very bad for you. Heart disease is not caused by simply eating cholesterol, if it were then Eskimos would all be dead; they live off dead seals. Lard is one of the most healthy fats, natural saturated animal fat which humans evolved to have ideally as ten percent of our diet. When I go back to the Weird Weekend I must learn to ignore Richard's provocations and keep my head down.

7 comments:

Our Ken said...

But eskimos aren't necessarily healthy, but they do eat fish as well not just blubber. But then I have been to Greenland and you haven't.

Our Ken

Ben Emlyn-Jones said...

Then you will know, Ken, that those who give up the traditional lifestyle and move into cities are less healthy, even though they are eating far less saturates and consume plenty of supposedly healthy unsaturates and trans-fats in processed margarine, cooking oil etc.

Adrian said...

Hi Ben both trans-fats and saturated fats ARE very unhealthy especially the former. I think the use of transfats now restricted. On Eskimos its a myth that they enjoy good health and their mortality is significantly lower than those from the west. Epidemiological studies support dietary factors as cause of heart disease, strokes and osteoporosis. I found this interesting passage on Eskimos which I think you'll find interesting:

"Mummified remains of Eskimos dating back 2,000 years have shown extensive hardening of the arteries throughout their brains, hearts and limbs; as a direct consequence of following a carnivorous diet of birds, caribou, seals, walrus, polar bears, whales, and fish. The June 1987 issue of National Geographic magazine carried an article about two Eskimo women, one in her twenties and the other in her forties, frozen for five centuries in a tomb of ice. When discovered and medically examined they both showed signs of severe osteoporosis and also suffered extensive atherosclerosis,probably the result of a heavy diet of whale and seal blubber"

Cheers mate. Ade

Benny said...

Hi Ben I wonder if you can help me as I know you are really clever on many subjects, love the Roswell series BTW. I am a PhD student studying at Cambridge and I am stuck on my dissertation. Do you know anything about Perturbation theory and its link to string theory especially Gaskin's law and the rudimentary (my original piece) Carbonary Uniary Non-linear Theory? Please help!

Benny PhD (well nearly)

Ben Emlyn-Jones said...

Benny, please email me at bennyjay74@gmx.co.uk

Ben Emlyn-Jones said...

Ade, I'll look into it.

Laurence said...

Only in England!