Tuesday 16 January 2024

WANTED- New UKIP Leader

 
The strangest job vacancy I have ever seen was published on Sunday. The United Kingdom Independence Party has made an announcement; it was done with a lot of drama and a few teasers beforehand. The chairman, Ben Walker, told Mark Dolan (no relation to Richard) on GB News that the party is going to have a leadership contest and he has invited the general public to take part. According to their constitution, any UKIP member can nominate themselves to become leader if they are "in good standing" via a simple poll of the members; but it is normal to advertize this only within the party. Generally only people who have been in the party for at least three years are considered viable. Now Mr Walker is inviting anybody to join the party and run for leader. Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2yZaaoC7H4. The only reason I can think he is doing this is because he hopes Nigel Farage will come back, or maybe Boris Johnson will join... God help them! The current leader is Neil Hamilton, a former Tory who used to be a rather infamous reality TV star, along with his wife Christine. He has announced his resignation.
 
There will almost certainly be a general election next year, even though technically we could have one as late as January 2025. It will probably be sometime in the autumn. Opinion polls unanimously predict a landslide Labour victory, but this will not be caused by a swing of passionate public support for Keir Starmer's vision for Britain, it will be as a result of apathy and indifference by many of the white working class electorate who voted Conservative last time. I predict the turnout will be the lowest in electoral history. I consider myself typical of this phenomenon. I was captivated by Boris Johnson and his promise to "get Brexit done!" which he did; but straight afterwards Bill Gates whispered sweet nothings into his ear and he sunk seamlessly back into the establishment. I saw Dr Jordan Peterson call a Labour government in the UK "catastrophic"; he's right, but a Sunak victory would only be about one percent better. So, please spare me the "we must vote Tory just to keep Labour out!" line. I'm afraid it's neither here nor there. It's back to the bad old days of politics, for now. Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5TXqc8zTik. I shall abstain, or maybe back a small party or an independent candidate if any decent ones stand in my constituency. Some pundits are concerned by the same thing I was in the last election, that the populist rightwing parties might split the vote and allow Labour to burst up through the middle. In 2019 I was very frightened by this; in 2024 I don't give a damn. The pundits have suggested that the radical right should stand down in order to avoid a Labour victory this year. Richard Littlejohn is not somebody I think I've ever really agreed with before, but he has written a brilliant article that implores: "Here's an idea... maybe the Tories should stand down". Yes, why should everybody else bow out to give the Tories and open pitch to fight this election, the same Tories who have utterly turned coat on everything they promised and done everything they can to join the Blairite centrist Davos norm? Let them do the walk of shame to the subs bench for a change! It's what they deserve. Source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-12927921/RICHARD-LITTLEJOHN-Heres-idea-maybe-Tories-stand-favour-Reform-UK.html. Don't expect my coverage of the election this year to be as detailed as the last one. This is simply because it is going to be a lot more boring. Now, I know what everybody is asking: Am I going to join UKIP and run for leader? No, I have way too much baggage ever to enjoy a career in mainstream politics. I make Carl Benjamin look like John Major... I wouldn't even vote for you, Ben.
See here for background: https://hpanwo.blogspot.com/2019/10/brexit-portal.html.

2 comments:

Snarnok said...

What do think of the Heritage party? Richard Vobes did an interesting interview with David Kurten recently.

Ben Emlyn-Jones said...

That will be interesting. David Kurten is a good guy. He appears in my March for Life video.