Wednesday 26 September 2018

The Roswell Conspiracy by Boyd Morrison

This HPANWO book review is of The Roswell Conspiracy by Boyd Morrison, see: http://www.boydmorrison.com/roswell-conspiracy.php.
This book was recommended to me by a friend on Facebook who I'll simply call "John". That is not his real name; his real name is Paul Armstrong. I've known John for a while online and have even met him once. One of his characteristics is that he enjoys generating drama. Unfortunately quite a few people like to do that, but unlike most of them, John does not seem to be motivated by any malice. For him it is more something playful, therefore I tolerate and even humour him. John describes himself as a "recovering woo" or "woo-lite"; which sounds to me like he means he is moving away from the conspirasphere over to the skeptic side of things. This does happen occasionally, in fact both sides make converts from the other, see here for more details: https://hpanwo-tv.blogspot.com/2018/01/skeptics-2018.html. John posted a link to the above title because he thought I might be concerned that I was not the only author to write a fictionalization about the Roswell Incident. As it happens I am already aware that I am not. In fact Bryce Zabel has announced that he is writing his own "what if?" alternate history of Roswell, see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9BZybEhtCg. I don't have a problem with this. I believe Bryce and I can both do this without either of us displacing the other. If John's intention was to make me worried then it didn't work. There is plenty of space for many people to write original works on this theme. It's not exactly a shoulder-jostling market. Nevertheless I was curious, so I ordered the book. It turned out to be very different indeed from my own. It is a fast-paced techno-thriller about a race between the good guys and a gang of international criminals to recover a special mineral with extraordinary properties that can be used as a deadly weapon. The race begins a hundred years ago during the Russian Civil War where the White and Red armies fight each other while trying to track down the remains of the Tunguska meteorite, to 1947 in Roswell where a young girl witnesses the crash of a mysterious craft she has never seen before. It ends in the present day where the girl, now an old lady, helps the two heroes on their mission across the world from New Zealand, to Easter Island, to central Australia. I've tried to avoid spoilers, but cannot completely; so stop reading now if you plan to read the book... because the Roswell incident in the setting is not caused by anything ET. In fact, if anything, it seems to be more inspired by Annie Jacobson's theories about Roswell. I did enjoy the book as a bit of light entertainment though, so I appreciate John for recommending it to me; but I don't consider Boyd Morrison to be a rival. His field of topics lies so far away from mine.

6 comments:

Tim said...

Plagiarist. Use your own imagination for once if you can find it.

Ben Emlyn-Jones said...

You've not read either book, have you, Tim? Fucking idiot troll.

Carl said...

I see the vermin has returned. Don't worry Rozzy Trozz will be a betterment to literature. Southbank Show here you come, the Oxfordshire Dan Brown.

Carl.

Ben Emlyn-Jones said...

Thanks, Carl. Well said! You can't keep a good man down, but keeping trolls down is quite a job too!

Felix said...

He's got you there, Ben, Carl is Tim as well.

Felix

Ben Emlyn-Jones said...

Hi Felix. Trolls can take on multiple personalities.