
Argentina
has once again asserted its territorial claim to the
Falkland
Islands. This time they have big hitters in the international
community on their side, in the shape of
Israel
and the
USA. I
am disappointed in Javier Milei. When he took power in 2023 I called him the
"Argentine Trump". He was a populist, almost anti-political figure
whose mentor was Margaret Thatcher. He got through his entire campaign with a
very lukewarm position on the
Falklands; in fact he
barely mentioned the subject. This is amazing in a nation suffering from what
they themselves call as a self-deprecating joke, "Malvinitis". Since
then Milei seems to have been lured into the establishment in the same way
Boris Johnson was, see:
https://hpanwo-voice.blogspot.com/2022/07/boris-is-finished.html.
He has started reciting the old line that his predecessors did.
Argentina's
claim to the
Falkland Islands is completely bogus, in
fact it is a hoax invented by the junta to control the people's emotions; see
here for details:
https://hpanwo-radio.blogspot.com/2022/04/programme-460-falklands-war-40_14.html.
Argentina has
suffered enormously during the 20th century. It has endured economic collapse
and fascist tyranny. It would be a far happier country if it could find a way
to get over this madness about those little islands full of sheep farms just
off their continental shelf. However, mass mental obsessions are difficult to
break; and I'm not just criticizing
Argentina
here. Maybe it's normal for nations to have an idea that almost all the
citizens believe in, and for them is quintessential to their national identity
and self-esteem; but it is completely false. Whatever country you, the reader,
live in; what do you think yours is? Being British, I'm not sure. Very often
the citizen themselves is the last person to see the problem. These falsehoods
are often harder to discern from the inside. Foreigners are more likely to spot
them first. I am British, but I'm also Welsh; however I left
Wales
as a child and moved to
Oxford, England.
This might be why I have spotted the national myth suffered by
Wales.
It is not an obsession with any islands or anything like that; it is the notion
that
Wales is
universally and eternally "oppressed by the bloody English!" To be
fair,
Wales is
not alone in this mindset, in fact
Scotland
and
Ireland are
far worse. I call this concept the "CVD- Celtic Victimhood Delusion."
I'll leave some background links below to provide details. The CVD has actually
been very damaging. It has made
Wales
and its fellow "Celtic nations" defenceless against the globalist
onslaught via the European Union and the World Economic Forum etc. Your average
Taffy's response to this threat is: "EU and WEF? Who cares about them? At
least they're not the bloody English!" They think we still live in the
14th century, the days of Owain Glyndŵr. They see the world through the cracked
lens of the lost order of territorial states and national empires. Perhaps it
is because I am an expat I can pierce through the veil. I think
Wales
would be a far happier country if, like
Argentina,
we could leave the CVD behind in the past where it belongs.
See here for
background: https://hpanwo-voice.blogspot.com/2024/10/cvd-is-ruining-wales.html.
And: https://hpanwo-tv.blogspot.com/2024/01/visiting-senedd.html.
"Argentine Trump" is a fair description of Milei since he has been equally disastrous and treacherous in much the same way. Not a source of disappointment for thinking and perceptive people who expected nothing else from either, or indeed from Boris Johnson.
ReplyDeleteThe closest British equivalent of 'Malvinitis' is perhaps simply 'Russophobia'; the belief that Russia encapsulates everything bad and tyrannical and is some kind of eternal threat about to invade. How long people are going to allow themselves to be played by this garbage is hard to say.
Hi MT, when it comes to Trump and Boris, I would say many people guessed correctly.
DeleteAs for "Russophobia", I'm sure that's what the government want to be our national myth. They're certainly trying to instill it in us. The thing is, it's failed. most people I know don't buy it at all.